This colourful mouth watering dish is a great way for you (and your kids!) to get some vegetables, protein, iron, vitamin A, & C! This recipe will give you all three macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat) in one. It’s super easy and the gorgeous colours match the fall season!
You will need:
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1 tsp garlic paste
- ¾ – 1lb lean ground beef
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn (unsalted)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (unsalted)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup low fat (<18% M.F.) low sodium mozzarella cheese, shredded
- in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of canola oil on medium-high heat and sauté the onions until softened.
- Add minced garlic or garlic paste, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and mix together. Season with salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the top of the peppers off and remove the inner membranes and seeds.
- In a separate pot, boil water and place the cut peppers inside for 3-4 mins until they’re a bit soft. (This cuts down baking time in the oven). Drain well and place upright in baking dish.
- Once meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce and corn. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes until reduced.
- Now stuff each pepper with the filling, and top it with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350°F in the oven for 15-20 minutes!
*Want a vegetarian version? Use TVP (soy protein) instead of beef, or black beans and quinoa!*
Nutrition Information (per serving):
250 kcal / 20g protein / 21g carbohydrate / 7g fat
Photo Credit: Cooking Classy