Beans are one of those things that I didn’t like too much as a child (read: at ALL 😂) but over the years grew to love as an adult. There’s just something wonderful about trying new things and being open-minded about food!
In the midst of these ~corona times~ I keep finding beans and other canned items in my pantry and have been trying to come up with quick and fun recipes to prepare and enjoy. Enter: The Avocado and Black Bean Salad! 💪🏽
This recipe brings you a great combo of protein (from the beans), healthy fats (from the avocado), and Vitamin A, C, and fibre (from the veggies) to help support a balanced diet. A little salad dressing doesn’t hurt either, but reach for a low-fat version and remember to keep everything in moderation 😉.
These difficult times are starting to make me realize that throwing together balanced meals may not be so difficult after all! Are you getting creative in the kitchen during this corona season? Let me know all about it in the comments! 😊
- 1 can (1.75 cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, chopped OR 1/2 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado, cut into cubes
- Optional: parsley and chickpeas for garnish
1. In a large bowl, mix together your black beans, tomato, corn and avocado cubes.
2. Top with homemade or store bought low-fat dressing then mix well and serve!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
275 kcal / 14g protein / 40g carbs (with 12g of fibre) / 6g healthy fats
Photo Source: Fifteen Spatulas
– Huda Amareh, MAHN, RD 🌟