After a cold and windy weekend, I for one need a BREAK 😂. I saw the weather forecast for the rest of the week and knew that I’d need something spicy and full of protein to get me through until Friday. Hence, the Spicy Ginger and Vegetable Tofu Stir Fry was born! It’s a simply beautiful and filling recipe that makes my mouth water just thinking about it. With the right balance of grains, protein, and colourful veggies, why not secretly prepare this in your kitchen at night when everyone is asleep and share it with no one other than your future self? Some things just aren’t meant to be shared!
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 2 tbsp peanut or canola oil
- 14 ounces very firm tofu
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 coloured bell pepper (e.g., orange pepper), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 inches (5 cm) of ginger, grated
- 7 thai chilli peppers, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups of baby spinach
- ½ small red cabbage, sliced
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- ½ cup of sesame seeds
- Prepare tofu by placing on a plate and drying with a paper towel. Leave one paper towel and a heavy pan on top to flatten the tofu out and make it easier to cut into smaller pieces.
- Take this time to prepare your rice according to package instructions.
- Cut your flattened tofu into small pieces
- Get ready to sauté your ingredients by placing a large pan or wok on your stovetop. Set to medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan and wait until it has heated up. Slowly add garlic and ginger and wait 2 minutes before adding all other ingredients except tofu and spinach. Stir.
- After 3 minutes has passed, carefully add cut tofu into your pan. Continue to stir and ensure that the tofu pieces are turned over frequently for an even bake.
- Remove pan from heat and top with spinach and sesame seeds. Serve with brown rice and enjoy ☺
Nutritional Information (per serving):
380 kcal / 20g protein / 40g carbs / 15g healthy fats