You may have heard that whole wheat (or brown bread) is healthier than white. But is whole wheat the same as whole grain? Let’s find out.
Grains have 3 parts to them: germ, endosperm and bran . Whole grains are the least processed and have all 3 nutritious parts. Whereas whole wheat and white flour have some or all of the germ and bran removed – leaving them with less nutrition.
- Lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers 
- Help in keeping a healthy weight
- Are the least processed: have all 3 nutritious parts of a grain i.e. have more vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants, and healthy fats 
- Is a refined grain – i.e. partially processed to remove some of the germ and bran
- Has less fibre, minerals, vitamins and healthy fats
- Can still be a healthy choice 
Tips when choosing Whole Grain bread
- Look for “100% whole grain” – make sure it’s 100%
- Look for at least 2g of fibre per slice (low in sodium, sugar and fat)
- Make sure the first ingredients have the word “whole” before them ex. Whole grain wheat flour, whole rye etc
- Multigrain / Stone Ground / Enriched ≠ Whole grain
Tips when choosing Whole Wheat bread
- Whole wheat ≠ whole grain
- Look for 4g of fibre per serving
- Where possible, choose whole grain bread more often
To summarize, whole grains have all 3 parts of the kernel, therefore they contain more nutrition and have more health benefits than refined grains!
Until next time,
Almas-Sadaf Shaikh, PMDip, RD
*Please be aware that these are general guidelines. Nutrition and intake varies by age, sex, height, activity, being pregnant or breastfeeding, and medical conditions. For more information or to sit with one of our dietitians for an individualised nutrition counselling session, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Contact Us page to book your first appointment.
 All About Whole Grains. (n.d.). Retrieved December 17, 2019, from https://www.unlockfood.ca/en/Articles/Cooking-Food-Preparation/Cooking-with-Whole-Grains.aspx.
 Choosing Whole Grains FAQs. (n.d.). Retrieved December 17, 2019, from https://www.unlockfood.ca/en/Articles/Canada-s-Food-Guide/Choosing-Whole-Grains-FAQs.aspx.
 How to Choose the Best Sliced Bread. (n.d.). Retrieved December 17, 2019, from https://www.unlockfood.ca/en/Articles/Grocery-Shopping/How-to-Choose-the-Best-Sliced-Bread.aspx.