Here’s a healthy and crunchy snack you can take to work or school. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s high in protein, fibre, and contains complex carbs – elements of a fulfilling snack that can sustain and keep you energized. It also can help you reach your daily nutrient needs of iron (to help carry oxygen in your blood), potassium (to keep your nerves and muscles healthy) and folate (to make red blood cells, keep heart healthy, and lower certain birth defect risks). Try it out!
- 2 (19oz/540ml) cans of cooked chickpeas (drained & rinsed) or 2 cups dried chickpeas, boiled
- 3 tbsp canola/corn/vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp spice of your choice (ex. chili powder, cajun, pepper, etc).
Tip: If chickpeas are not completely dry, spread them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes, to remove excess water. (This makes them crispy).
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Line a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Season chickpeas with spice and oil. Combine well.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, giving the sheet a shake every 10 minutes to evenly cook chickpeas. Serve once cool.
⚠ Always remember to increase fibre intake slowly and to have more water when you have more fibre to avoid discomfort! Talk to a dietitian to find out if you are having enough.
Nutrition Information (per ¼ cup serving):
150kcal / 6g protein / 17g carbohydrate / 4g fibre / 7g healthy fat
healthysnack #healthyfood #healthy #snack #healthylifestyle #vegan #food #glutenfree #healthyeating #snacks #foodie #cleaneating #nutrition #instafood #plantbased #plantprotein #fitness #healthysnacks #eathealthy #healthyliving #protein #dietitian #dietitiansofinstagram #fitness #health #fit