Tacos are a fun and tasty choice for get-togethers but did you know that they can be super healthy too? We’ve added lots of colourful veggies like orange bell pepper, tomato, and red onion to ours to make this meal balanced. Our recipe uses quinoa too, which is a complete protein (the same way beef, poultry, and fish are) but plant-based, making it more environmentally friendly and a good choice for our Meatless Monday 🙂 Take a chance and make these tacos today, you won’t regret it!
- 1 cup (180g) quinoa
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tortillas
- Avocado (optional)
- Black beans (optional)
- Use strainer to rinse quinoa. Place in a saucepan over medium heat and allow to roast for 4 minutes.
- Add stock and water to quinoa and allow to boil. Bring heat down to low and cook quinoa covered with a lid for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove quinoa mixture from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, tomato, lime juice, cumin, and chilli powder, to the quinoa mixture. Mix together well and place on a baking pan. Place in oven for 25 minutes until ingredients are crispy.
- Divide into four portions and place in soft- or hard-shell tacos. Happily serve 🙂
Nutritional Information (per serving):
250 kcal / 40g Carbohydrates (includes 6g Fibre) / 10g Protein / 3g Healthy Fats
Photo credit: Plays Well with Butter